Monday, February 7, 2011

The Home Row

I teach the most basic computer class known to man...keyboarding.  Although this class is very simplistic in nature, I believe it sets the foundation for future computer use.  Keyboarding is to computing as addition is to Algebra.  I drill into my students proper typing position which involves keeping their hands on the home row.  For some reason they fight me on this.  To them it seems easier to peck using their two index fingers.  I see that as exerting way too much energy!  I wish we could see eye to eye.  Eventually most of the class does come around and they appreciate all they have learned.  The see their typing speed increase and are excited about the results.  We make it a point to set goals at the very beginning of the six weeks, and I encourage students to meet those goals. 

Maybe as teachers, we should begin implementing technology with baby steps.  I'm asking the students to learn the whole keyboard in one day.  In fact we typically learn about two or three keys a day.  If we break up the technology and begin slowly fusing it into our classrooms, maybe we will a) be able to see the results because we arent' to busy to see them, and b) we will really be able to focus on the technology we are trying in order to gauge if it is working with our students or not.  Technology shouldn't be difficult, a bit of a challenge at first? Yes.  Something we have to get comfortable with? Yes.  But can technology be seen as the building blocks necessary to construct effective lesson plans?  Most definitely!

Let us keep our fingers on the Home Row and learn a few key elements of technology at one time.  One by one we can add more in and really see results!

No comments:

Post a Comment