Tuesday, February 7, 2012

This Doesn't Surprise Me

Helicopter Parents Hover In The Workplace

Matthew was on his way home from work the other day and heard this story on NPR.  Being that we work in a private school, we definitely come into contact with "helicopter parents."  These are the parents that are overly involved in their child's academic career.  When I was a kid, my parents might ask me if I had homework.  The keyword... you guessed it, might.  Most nights, I just took care of it.  If I didn't, I was the one to fail in the long run.  In no way did my performance in school affect them.  I went to a public school.  They were not paying $15,000 a year for their child's education.

"Helicopter parents" are so involved where I teach, that they want to know what homework their child has, tests must be posted two weeks in advance, and grades must be kept up to date.  After all, a parent can check a child's grades minute by minute via Net Classroom (an online parent portal).  This puts so much pressure on the students as well as the teachers.  Well, helicopter parents are not limiting themselves to elementary, middle, and high schools anymore.  Oh no, they are taking their kids to college and then into the workforce.  Literally.  Parents are writing resumes for their students as well as calling employers to give them the skinny on their child.  When I told my dad about this he said, "I would never hire some whose mommy called me to help them get a job."  My sentiments exactly.  I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree here.  The author of this article says maybe colleges and organizations should embrace these helicopter parents.  Give me a break!  Are these parents going to continue cutting up little Johnny's steak and tucking him in until he is 30?  What are these parents teaching their children?  I can tell you what they are not teaching them.  It is a little something I like to call responsibility!

No comments:

Post a Comment