Friday, April 13, 2012

Evernote Where Have You Been All Of My Life?

Seriously, I downloaded this app for my Blackberry about three years ago and never used it.  I guess I didn't understand it's full potential.  My husband, not two weeks ago, downloaded the EN app on my iPhone.  Still up until yesterday, I had not used it.  After reading the blog post about using EN to create a portfolio, I was curious.  I began playing around with it on my phone and on my computer.  To my surprise, I love it!  I created a notebook and began "clipping" useful websites.  I find websites all the time of ideas I want to implement in my classroom.  I just add them to my bookmarks, and they get lost in the crowd.  With EN, I can create a notebook that is accessible from my phone, computer, and iPad.  This notebook is organized by tags, and I can search text.  How cool is that?  I am a dork...I know. 

In my English classroom I think I could use EN in a number of ways.  Specifically for students to organize their online research.  They could begin researching a topic and "clip" the websites they use.  Within their notebooks, they can take notes over the topic and write directly on the webpage.  They can highlight important text and attach files.  These notebooks can be used for individuals or they can be shared and edited by a group.  This is just another alternative to using Google Docs.  When they have finished their paper/project, they can add it to the notebook as well.  This is then easily accessible from any mobile device or computer.

In my Spanish Classroom I am always looking for ways for students to showcase or portfolio their work.  Many times the students make videos to go along with their projects.  They do a vocabulary slideshow each chapter as well.  EN is an easy way to compile all of their digital sources into place.  My students have to turn their computers in each semester.  Having their notes on EN will allow them to study and have access to their materials over the summer and on into college. 

Professionally I will use EN as a method of keeping up with digital resources for my English and Spanish classes.  Should my hard drive crash, I would have a back up of all my important documents.  I can also share the information with my pair teachers.

On a personal level, this is just another way to back up and document things I would like to remember.  I take a million pictures using my iPhone, so this is a way to keep up with all of them.  I could keep a wish list of items for our new house, or keep up with the houses we are looking at.  Overall, this is a great way to organize all sources of digital media.

No comments:

Post a Comment