Sunday, June 5, 2011

Blooms' Taxonomy

According to the Blooms' Taxonomy cognitive domain, our group worked at a level of comprehension.  Our assignment called for us to analyze the information then compare and contrast the two standards models.  Comparison is a crucial aspect of the comprehension level.  Not only were we able to regurgitate facts of the tables, rather we looked critically at the models in order to gain understanding.  We stated main ideas as well as interpreted the tables.  The reason I would not go any further in the taxonomy is simply because we were not required to do anything more than comparison with the information.  Had we have been asked to apply the information in some way then that would possibly have put us in a higher level of cognitive domain. 

Considering the affective domain, I can only speak for myself.  I believe I achieved the valuing level of the domain.  Not only did I receive and respond to the information, I valued the information being given and will begin with the organizing process.  There was a good deal of information within the tables so I will now begin working to organize the information into my own schemata.

Honestly Blooms' Taxonomy is new to me.  I am probably only in the comprhension level when it comes to this subject.  I haven't had Psychology of Learning in a while.  Even then, I don't think I really understood how the taxonomy worked.  I was probably at the very basic knowledge level.  I do find this subject interesting and will work to incorporate the taxonomy in my own classroom.  I think all to often as teachers we teach to the test requiring students to simply spit back out details.  I would like for my students to obtain a higher level of thinking through critical thinking skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment