Sunday, June 5, 2011

TPACK Defined

TPACK or TPCK could most simply be defined as the correlation of content, pedagogical, and technical knowledge.  TPACK calls for teachers to structure activities that are appropriate to content, support proper pedagogical practices, and incorporate fitting technology.  In order for an educator to truly incorporate the suggestions of TPACK in the classroom, they must plan.  Knowledge of content, pedagogy, and technology are a must, and classroom activities should be approached as a whole, rather than individual activities.  The key word here is appropriate.  What is proper in a math class may not be fitting in Spanish classroom.  An educator must approach his or her content with the thought of how to best help students construct knowledge and attain the necessary proficiencies.  We must understand content, pedagogy, and technology individually and how they are intertwined with one another.  Harris, Mishra, & Koehler, 2009 say the following regarding how technologies should be integrated during planning. “Technologies can be used to build on existing understanding to help students develop new epistemologies or strengthen old ones.”  We should not be using technology just for the sake of saying we are tech savvy in the classroom.  Rather technologies utilized should have specific purpose and should be course specific. 

In my own classroom I would like to take more time to look at the big picture rather than just work week to week.  I get so bogged down in what are the individual activities we will be doing so I can turn in my weekly lesson plans that I forget what the purpose of each activity is and how they work together throughout the course.  I liked how the authors of the article explained TPK.  They said “TPK must be forward-looking, creative, and open-minded seeking of technological application, not for its own sake, but for the sake of advancing student learning and understanding.” (Harris, Mishra, & Koehler, 2009) I think I will make print this out and put it in view of my workspace.  TPACK requires time and thought.  This is something I will begin incorporating in my planning for next semester.  I believe it will make a huge difference in the lives of my students by giving our classroom activities true practical purpose that will be engaging.

Harris, J, Mishra, P, & Koehler, M. (2009). Teachers’ technological pedagogicalcontent knowledge and learningactivity types:curriculum-based technologyintegration reframed. Journal of Reasearch on Technology in Education, 41(4), 1-25.

No comments:

Post a Comment